Whitewater Canyon presented special mining and milling problems.
The mill, powered mainly by electricity, could not be built close to the mines because of the rough and narrow canyon. While the stream frequently dried up at the mill site, it ran almost continuously on the high mountains where the mines were located.
Eventually, electricity was generated and water was provided to the town after the construction of an 18-inch pipeline reaching about three miles up the canyon. The present day Catwalk follows the route of the line.
Despite the large investment of time and money, the Graham Mill was never highly successful because of inadequate ore processing methods. It was finally closed in 1913.
After 1913, the massive rock walls of Whitewater Canyon saw few visitors until the 1930's when the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was assigned the task of rebuilding the Catwalk as a recreation attraction for the Gila National Forest.